The Constabulary Act of 1822 provided for Ireland’s first country-wide police force known as the County Constabulary. The Act established four provincial police forces with depots in the North (Armagh), West (Ballinrobe), Midlands (Daingean) and South (Ballincollig). There was an inspector-general appointed for each of the four provinces by the Lord Lieutenant.
The inspectors-general appointed in 1822 for the four provinces of Ireland were: for Munster, Sir Richard Willcocks, succeeded by Major William Miller, in 1827; Leinster, Major Thomas Powell, succeeded by Sir John Harvey, in 1827; Connaught, Major John Warburton: Ulster, Major Thomas D’Arcy, succeeded by Sir Frederick Stovin. The Irish Constabulary (Ireland) Act, 1836, known as the Drummond Act, consolidated and repealed all preceding Acts. The four provincial police forces were amalgamated to form the ‘Irish Constabulary’ which was responsible for policing the whole country except the capital, Dublin. A total of 43 members of the Constabulary of Ireland lost their lives between 1822 and 1836:- Leinster Constabulary, 23; Munster Constabulary, 11; Ulster Constabulary; 7; Connaught Constabulary, 2.